Thread: Mentor Program
View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JMN
1)For those of you who are mentors, what have you found most effective in helping new officials? How often do you contact them? See them?

2)For you newer officials who have had a mentor, what has your mentor done that helped you the most?
I had a mentor, so I can answer question (1) from that perspective. In terms of contact, email works best. As for "seeing them" and also contact, we have weekly meetings during the season, and I had contact with my mentor there.

To combine parts of (1) with (2), I got the most help from being on the sidelines during the game. I knew the rules, but it was invaluable to see how my mentor (and the other offcials on the field) communicated with players, coaches, and with fellow officials (both those on the field, and the chain crew, etc.). There is no "script" to follow with this, but I think the most effective way for a young official to learn is to be on the sideline.

Also, it was very helpful to be in the dressing room with the officials. I learned quite a bit seeing the pregame, the halftime discussion, and the post game wrap up.