View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 10:36am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Jeff -- I agree with you about 90% of the time, but this one falls into the 10%. There is one situation where a prelim is a huge NO-NO!! I'm not feeling Socratic today (or pedantic either) so I'll just say it right out -- the double whistle. I have trained myself to hold my prelim until I look at my partner, because I'm terrible at hearing a double. So unless it's so obvious that the guy in the back row could have called it correctly, I tweet and fist, then look at partner, then prelim and birddog, if appropriate. Since I quit the automatic preliminary signal, I've not had a single blarge. Thank goodness.
Juulie,

I am still going to give a preliminary signal when there is a double whistle. I am just not going to do it very quickly. Once we realize who is taking the call, I think you still have to signal to everyone what you have. Because if there is a difference with a block and a charge and two officials have a whistle, you still have to let everyone know what you have. But I agree you are not in a hurry. But most situations you still should signal. But for this discussion, I was not really commenting on how you give it, I still think it is required in most cases.

Peace