View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 29, 2004, 01:58pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

You're making up your own interpretation again, instead of using the one that we already have available. Bad Nevada! Bad, bad Nevada! See casebook play 10.1.9, and note the language- "A technical foul is IMMEDIATELY charged to team B for failure to have ALL players return to the court at approximately the same time following a time-out or intermission. While it is true the ENTIRE team may be off-court while the procedure is being used, once a team responds, ALL players must enter the court at approximately the same time".
JR, have you had the inclination to call a T in a game for this, ever? If so, in retrospect, do you feel that you could have managed the game differently to avoid the T situation?
Rob, I'm not big on T's like these. If I can avoid 'em, fine. To answer your question though, I don't think that I've ever been in a situation like this where I really HAD to call the T. I've used the "resuming play" procedure many times over the years, usually because a coach has forced me into it by ignoring explicit warnings to get his team out of the huddle. That means that I have put the ball on the floor if team A is late for their throw-in, or I've given the ball to team A for their throw-in if B was still in their huddle and ignoring us. If either team was on the way though, then I will wait for them. However, I can't remember ever being in a situation where the other team didn't rush back on the floor- together mostly- as soon as they figured out that the "resuming play" procedure had started. If that team hadn't come back on the floor according to the procedures laid out in the book though,then yes, I would have T'd them up for delay. Also, if only 4 came on and started playing, and the 5th player was definitely late joining them, I don't think that you have any choice but to hand out the T. It's just too obvious to everyone in the gym. What can you do differently? I really don't know. You warn and warn sometimes, and they just ignore you. They more or less force you to use the "resuming play" procedure. Once is usually enough.