View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 28, 2004, 08:39am
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: Nah,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
Nope, Garth understands what this all about. He understands EXACTLY what it is all about. I love it when people try to "educate" others.

Some of us just feel that this entire issue IS a scare tactic and think the entire discussion is pretty funny.

See, I did this entire post with out using the term "blood sucking maggots" one time . . . I am getting better.

Tee
We have an adult league in the area where the guys like to act "cool" and not wear a helmet on the bases. Funny, but this doesn't appear in writing as one of the exceptions to the pro rules we use. I simply think it would be gross negligence on my part should someone get hurt if I allow the players to ignore the fact that they need to wear helmets. I carry umbrella insurance along with NASO coverage, but that doesn't mean I want to use either.

So, when I umpire those games, they keep their helmets on or they get ejected. I haven't had to eject anyone, yet. And one player took a nasty blow to the back of the head after getting picked off first. Slid into second feet first and the wild throw hit in the back of the head at the bottom of the helmet. I'd hate to think the result if he had no helmet on.

If someone dies due to making a choice like this, you can bet his family/widow would be suing the league and the umpires. Why even consider having to deal with that?

--Rich