View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 14, 2001, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Well, Mark, that was a long way to go (i.e., a lot of reading) to arrive at your point that you feel I shouldn't have spoken with the coach, even briefly, before my game. Personally, I think you're blowing this minor contact way out of proportion, and the eventual violation that was called is irrelevant to the broader issue of explaining a rule when asked. I have been reffing for 23 years now, and I could also list my resume if I was so inclined (which I'm not). Plenty of other experienced, veteran officials have also offered their opinions, many or most of which support that I handled the situation appropriately. After how many years of reffing do officials become essentially "equal" in their credibility? In other words, your 30+ years do not equate to more credibility than my (or others') 23 years, give or take.

That said, I simply disagree with the passion (and verbosity) with which you argue your case. You may choose to sit in the locker room for the entire game ahead of yours, but I enjoy basketball and watching my officiating brethren when I get the chance. Watching part of the first game from a corner of the gym (NOT "sitting in the stands" in the middle of all the fans, as you continually imply) is not a big deal, and I have NEVER had a significant problem result from it (whether I explained the rule to this coach an hour before his game or one minute before the game, he would have reacted the same way to the violation). And if something does result, I'll deal with it once or twice in my career. It was a BRIEF conversation--nothing more, nothing less. If the opposing coach notices and chooses to ask what the discussion was about, I'd be happy to tell him. My contacts with coaches is always brief and professional; I do not fraternize with coaches; I do not have long chats with them before games. Maybe that's why I'm not as well-known as other veteran officials who DO talk a lot. Anyway, I disagree with a couple other points, too, but I'd better stop typing, or MY post will be a chore to read.