View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 26, 2004, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
I doubt there will be any arguments if a 1-2 belt high border pitch is called a BALL on a pitchout when the catcher steps out for a pitchout and has to reach back to the plate to catch it. That's an ugly strike if it is called one. Right down the middle is another story, entirely.
My plate doesn't have a middle - strike or ball just like those other calls (safe-out, fair-foul, etc.) Well not really but...

This is a very valid question - do you judge balls and strikes based upon the location of the ball or should we include the ability of the catcher? The ability of the pitcher to throw directly to the catcher? Their ability to communicate?

I'm not certain there is a definite answer. I tend to lean towards location of the ball and only the location of the ball. But I've been known to pass on a strike call because the catcher was unable to reach or hold-on to the ball.

A similar non pitch-out situation is when the catcher may have either set-up away from the "middle" of the plate and then either can't reach it or can't squeeze it or tries to pull it in and drops it...

With my rate of delivering a strike call (timing), there is generally a pregnant pause after the catcher fails to hold onto the ball........ to come with a strike call after that un-normal pause and after the catcher has dropped the ball always attracts attention. And that attention is not something you want as an umpire. To paraphrase what I believe was DG's sentiment, down the tube and the catcher drops it... pause... strike. Any flack can usually be simply addressed with "The ball was in the zone."

Obviously, knowing the proper response means that, in the past, I have been chastised for making that call.

However, let's consider what the defense is trying to do... they are trying to pitch a BALL... either to make a pick off attempt or to walk the batter; if I think they are trying to pitch a BALL and would be content with a BALL call... Give 'em the BALL call.

So, it just comes down to your judgement. And just like all those other judgement calls, some people like 'em and some people don't. We still gotta call 'em.

Although I introduced a different situation (dropped catch), I think I would call a STRIKE if the catcher was calling for a pitch-out to make a pick-off play (the original situation) and likely call a BALL if the catcher/pitcher battery was attempting to walk the batter.

Rereading this, I think I may have confused the issue, but hopefully there is a good answer in there somewhere.