View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 26, 2004, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mplagrow
I don't ref a lot of high school games, but I was doing a boys' tournament a few weeks ago. One thing that gets me is the pace. I was trail, and maybe I was following the point guard a little too closely. The ball was poked out by the defense, and all of the sudden there's a fast break coming right at me. I froze and let the play go past, but then of course I was behind the layup. The shooter brought the ball down, and the defender along side him slapped straight down, hard. I have no idea to this day if he got ball, arm, hand or what. I just know the shot didn't make it up. I reflexively blew the whistle, and (trying not to cringe), called the foul. If anyone had said, "You were in no position to make that call!" I would have had to agree.

Should I have positioned myself differently as trail? Or is the speed of the game just fast enough that this is going to happen from time to time? I felt pretty stupid.
Others have given good advice, but, you were simply too close at trail. Trail means trail. You should stay behind the play at least 6 feet and more like 10, and off to the side about three feet. Yes, you are going to get beat, but staying in proper position will help you get in the right spot most of the time. I like the square analogy, sounds like a good diagram to use.