Thread: Windup in FED
View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 26, 2004, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Re: That's my worry...

Quote:
Originally posted by Cubbies87
I have routinely let it go for the reasons that LDUB stated: does it every time, deceiving nobody, would seem to be OOO to call the technical balk. But, then you run into the problem that if you have a smart coach with a runner on third, he sends the kid and wants a balk called.

Is this a scenario where we are reminded we just enforce the rules?

I can't see selling either call. A balk call on that is simply asking to cause trouble, and telling a coach that the pitcher isn't balking is equally as detrimental to the game.
So you let it go in your game, then a few weeks later he comes to my town and my game and the balk is called. Guess who the coach is going to want to ream.

If its a violation of the rule call it. Why? Because a good coach teaches his kids the rules. I'm coaching third and I see he's got his hands together so I tell my runner as soon as he moves we're okay. Then he steps back and picks my runner off.

What's your call then? You would have to call the out because you let it go the entire game.

This is only "highly technical" if you call all of the rules in Rule 6-2 highly technical. They have the three types of hand positions in the book for a reason. They determine the TOP.

I would let a lot of things go, but this pitcher needs to know the proper windup. Sure most coaches don't know the rules, but we do.

OTOH, if you don't want to call a balk, then tell F2 to tell him not to do that again, but do it with no runners on base so you don't have to worry about a balk. Call it a "don't do that again."

Still you are educating F1 on proper procedures.

Thanks
David

[Edited by David B on Jul 26th, 2004 at 09:24 AM]