View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 25, 2004, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by coach41
Hi all,

I'm not a newbie to officiating, having done youth basketball for a great number of years. However, I am new to the high school scene (will be entering my 3rd season this upcoming year) and realize I have a lot to work on.

One major part of my game I want to work on is communication with the coaches/assistants/players. I have yet to find a comfortable ground when a coach openly questions my calls as to how to handle it.

One reason I bring it up is because a very well known varsity coach here in the Bay Area was coaching the school's freshman team last night at a summer league. My partner called a player control foul for throwing her elbow out. Later on, as I ran past the coach, he said to me: "She only threw her elbow because she was bumped three times".

I heard it, thought about it, and chose not to say anything. I personally was wondering if I should have said anything back to the coach. However, I thought the call my partner made was pretty obvious.

In any case, I would appreciate any advice from the folks as how you worked on your communication and also how you handle various situations when people get out of line.

Thanks!!
Coach -

When you can, with your arms folded and hand cupping mouth say "Coach, I hear you. What you are saying is that you feel the defender initiated contact. We will watch for that" or "Coach, I hear you. But in my judgment, contact by the defender was minimal/incidental and did not put your player at a disadvantage." You've answered his question in a professional manner. Do not let it drag on anymore after that.
__________________________________________________ _____
"The more time you have to think things through, the more you have to screw it up."--Clint Eastwood