View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 25, 2004, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
My all-purpose acknowledgement to almost anyone who isn't shouting at me (coach, player, fan) is "Thank you." I say it calm and straight, with no hint of sarcasm or arguement. If I can, I look them in the eye when I say it. In your situation it would have been the perfect response. It tells them, "I heard you,and we're done talking about it." If they're smart (there are a few!), they also hear, "My partner and I are sticking together." and "I won't be sucked into an arguement."

The funny part is that a lot of coaches will come up with a Davism at this point. It gives me an opportunity to show how relaxed and in control I am, since I can laugh and respond lightly, if appropriate. Example: I say, "Thank you." Coach says, "Oh, you're welcome. I'm always glad to help out." Me, joking tone of voice, no sarcasm, "Between you and him (other coach who had been howling a lot) I probably could go sit down, eh?"

He started the joking, so he couldn't be offended. And he knows I hear him, and also that I'm approachable (something I've been working on a lot). It often works out great like this when I just use, "Thank you."