View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 25, 2004, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by coach41
Hi all,

I'm not a newbie to officiating, having done youth basketball for a great number of years. However, I am new to the high school scene (will be entering my 3rd season this upcoming year) and realize I have a lot to work on.

One major part of my game I want to work on is communication with the coaches/assistants/players. I have yet to find a comfortable ground when a coach openly questions my calls as to how to handle it.

One reason I bring it up is because a very well known varsity coach here in the Bay Area was coaching the school's freshman team last night at a summer league. My partner called a player control foul for throwing her elbow out. Later on, as I ran past the coach, he said to me: "She only threw her elbow because she was bumped three times".

I heard it, thought about it, and chose not to say anything. I personally was wondering if I should have said anything back to the coach. However, I thought the call my partner made was pretty obvious.

In any case, I would appreciate any advice from the folks as how you worked on your communication and also how you handle various situations when people get out of line.

Thanks!!
For me it's like Jeopardy, it needs to be in the form of a question. If a coach is making a comment, I don't feel any obligation to acknowledge it. I'm certainly not going to get into a dialogue with a coach that is commenting. The most they'll get is an, "I heard you, coach."

How you handle your partner's call is up to you and your partner, and should be part of the pre game.

You should avoid explaining their call, or making any comment that the coach can use to play divide and conquer.

If your partner is comfortable with it say, "I'll send them over when we have a chance." Some officials don't have a problem with it, some will. If the coach has a legitimate question, it's best answered from the calling official.