View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 23, 2004, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
Glen,
Yeah, darn near just about anything goes. But FUBlue is right. And why not, by rule, give the players the game that they want? Men's ball has changed since I played it, but it's still a great game and I want to see it stay alive. There's nothing like some of those games where the pitches come at 80-100+ miles/hour.
Not bragging, but you are right. I've been clocked in the mid-80's, and when I coached, my girls would just kill the faster pitchers (guess who threw batting practice). Getting them to stay with the slower pitchers was the hard part

I was fortunate enough to call games with all the great pitchers from Indiana when they were still playing...Planger, Banush(sp?), Bender, Manusak, Meredith, etc. It really made you concentrate the whole game and I learned so much about being a good umpire from working games with these guys throwing. Talk about having to track the ball...some of these guys routinely hit 100 mph and moved the ball side-to-side SEVERAL FEET. Amazing stuff.

The league I used to do threw the pitching rule out the window...anything goes. ANd that's what the HITTERS wanted!