View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 22, 2004, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Well, I have had a ball bounce OUT of a stuck net TWICE just this past season (separate games)! The first time I followed the protocol for waiting for the first natural dead ball opportunity. The second, I made a judgement that the "stuck" was not too stuck and would not be a problem and let the play continue....sure enough a fast break back down to the stuck net resulted in a jumper bouncing out. Luckily, it was not at a crucial, game changing point of play.

Sometimes the facilities do not have top quality equipment including nets (avoiding discussion on budgets or poor school districts, etc.). Heck, I have even had a game with no nets at the HS level for the first quarter and was instructed to start the game while the AD ran over to another school to grab some replacements.

Suffice to say that it can happen and does happen. To me once was a fluke, but twice was too many. My partners and I now make it a point to discuss in pregame that a stuck net will yield a whistle.