Thread: Moving up
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 01:54pm

Exclamation Point Clarified

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
That is not totally true. For one you have to live in an area that has scouts and recruiters attend a lot of games. There is a reason you see guys in bigger cities advance and guys in the small rural areas do not at the same rate. So you can think you are going to get seen, and no one even knows you exist. And even in those larger areas, you need to be proactive and go out and show interest. That is why you need to call someone to see what it takes or how to get to that level. Especially in the game of baseball.

Peace [/B]
This umpire has lived and worked in many areas of the country. I tecah clinics in four states and go to some pretty remote areas to do clinics. There is little question that talented officials exist in our smallest communities. The same goes for players - scouts and recruiters are in Holeinthewall, Montana more than he thinks. (The guy doesn't need to be weraing team colors from top to bottom and holding a radar gun!) The point Jeff misses, is that most colleges are in larger communities and you have to be close if you want to work the games. Yes, you need to be discovered - very few coaches will take a chance on an unknown entity. My suggestion that you contact other umpires was not lost on you, as it appears it was on Jeff. I still believe that most of my peers were noticed and asked to work the schedules we're given. In fact, I have received invitations to work in two other major college conferences because the games were scouted by the right people. Sometimes, being in the right spot is all it takes. I hope that is your luck.