View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 12, 2001, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Mark

I agree with you 100% and I don't want to beat a dead horse (sorry if it's already too late), but I found a statement in a memo from Jack Loube, the IAABO Executive Director, regarding game management that I thought was pertinent to this situation.

"If you speak to one coach, speak to them both. Coaches are suspicious of officials to begin with, don't do anything to confirm their suspicions. If you want to minimize the conversation and don't feel like talking, bring them both together. There is no advantage to be gained by either of them, and the talk will be brief."

and

"Don't sit in the stands with either coach before the game. The opposing coach feels he has no chance to win. Be friendly, but selective in what you say."

Todd, I'm not at all trying to imply that what you did WAS wrong...I'm just trying to point out that the fact that the opposing coach, since he/she was not involved in the conversation, could misconstrue the point of the conversation.

It is my believe that a polite, "coach, that's a good question and i'll address that prior to start of the game with both you and the opposing coach," would certainly be one way of handling the situation. That way, neither coach feels he/she has got an advantage over the other or feels that the other is getting an advantage over him/her.

Let's face it, in this situation, you and your partner where trying to be "nice guys" and look where it got you. It stinks sometimes, but like Mark said,

"the only friends that an official has on the court is his/her partner(s). Coaches are NOT our friends. Sad as that sounds."

Jake