View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 12, 2001, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

If it was a brief conversation I don't know what would be wrong with it. Todd can correct me, but the situation seems to be one where the coach was just looking for a rule clarification, saw him and asked. I don't think it a newsflash to anyone on this board that coaches are NOT rules experts (the few coaches on this board excluded), therefore they need to seek guidance form a higher power... officials.

Whether we move from one area or not during our officiating career, after time we see the same coaches, in the same leagues over and over. Whether we like it or not, there becomes a small air of familiarity (which probably breeds so much discontent on the coaches part during games). I take it as a compliment when a coach asks me for a rule clarification, I know that he thinks I have a good grasp of the rules. As long as he keeps it quick, I see no harm. I liken pregame encounters with coaches like the old Bugs Bunny cartoon with the wolf and the sheepdog. When we clock in between the lines we are enemies, after we clock out we warily tolerate and encourage each other.