View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 11:18am

As the thread stated, they are all standing on the same (3rd base). How can you call the runner from second out on a force, when he has legally advanced?

I'm not calling R2 out on a force. DEPENDING ON THE ORDER OF THE TAG however, I might be calling R2 out for being on a bag to which he is not entitled and being tagged.

Why is he not entitled? He was FORCED to advance on the basehit!

What was the force, since he is standing on the bag?

I never called R2 out on a FORCE.

I know, that is the only correct thing you've said.
So how is he out when he gets tagged? He is entitled to that base.

The bonehead from first is another casualty, since he is attempting to run his teammate off of a legally and safely secured base.

I agree completely. No matter what happens here, R1 is going to be out.

Yes, no matter what order they are tagged, this guy is out. Now who else f*d up? Oh, the guy on third - and yep, he's out, too.

Let them tag each guy and then you explain what your theory is.

That's exactly what I would do, depending on the ORDER they were tagged. Now, I'll be the first to admit, it is going to have to be a very good and very quick thinking umpire to get this right, but I was willing to put you in that category before now.

So, if the runner from second gets tagged first, while engaging the bag, he is out because you say he is not entitled to touch that bag? C'mon. Where else is he supposed to go? He can't stay at his bag, because R1 is advancing and B1 will be on first.

I prefer to let the rules do the talking.

What rules? The only rule you have quoted is, "Whoever f**d up is out." That's an interesting concept. And sometimes it's true. Unfortunately, it's not ALWAYS true, and that's why it's not printed in ANY rule book that I have.

Good Lord, I pity the program you work. The rule book does not cover every intricacy of the game. It says little things like "Only one player is entitled to occupy a base at any one time." I've never seen an order of tag rule, either. By the way, what is the penalty for a pitcher taking his signs off of the rubber? That's no listed either. But it does say that on a base hit, with bases loaded, all runners must advance at least one base. They cannot stay where they are and cause a traffic jam. That's what happened here and the two outs will be the same, no matter who gets tagged. If you don't believe me, forward this email to MLB or Gerry Davis and have him laugh at you.