View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwes68
Last night, Cal Ripken area championship. OBR, more or less. Pitcher's dad is standing outside the fence but is doing at least as much coaching as the ones in uniform, if not more so. I notice early on that the guy is giving signs to the catcher, who is then relaying them to the pitcher.

My partner and I talked about this, but we couldn't figure out what, if anything, we could do by rule to prevent this. We know the pitcher can't take signs from anyone but the catcher, but can the catcher take signs from anyone he wants, whether it be a coach or a spectator?

The opposing coach tried to point it out to us, but we had already noticed it. I guess it's one of those things that you just don't see that often, especially with 10-year-olds.
I believe, in fact I know, the rule reads that the "pitcher SHALL take signs from the catcher while standing on the rubber." It does NOT say MUST.

Both the catcher and pitcher and take signs from heaven if they truly believe thats where there coming from.

Signs are given from all over the place now days, but it is usually easier on the catcher if he calls the sign and therefore knows what type of pitch to expect.

Now the pitcher hitting the spot. Well thats a whole different topic.