Thread: Quick Out
View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 11, 2004, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Hitting the ball while out of the batter's box might be a good way to make an out.... but that would only be if the umpired judged that the batter was out of the box. Having a runner leave the base before the ball reached the plate might be another way... again, that would only be if the umpired judged that the runner left early.

Remember also that most rule books have a provision that states an umpire can rule a forfeit if a team applies tactics designed to delay or hasten a game.

As for me, if I was a umpire, I'm sure I would make sure I brushed the plate, inspected the ball and double checked my line-up just to insure that your team did not employ such tactics that would cause me to have to call a forfeit and thus have to take the extra time out of my schedule to fill out the required incident report.

As to your statement that you are still questioning yourself as to the ethical nature of this tactic, I am not so sure I have the opinion that it is unethical, but I definitely consider it outside the spirit of fair play and sportsmanship to the others in your league. In my opinion, this is not an equal comparison to basketball because in basketball the remaining time is only delayed while the foul penalty is imposed.

In the situation you discribed you are unfairly trying to take advantage of a local rule which is in place to insure others have sufficient time on the field. If you have the 9:30 game and if the 6:30, 7:30 and 8:30 games all have teams that apply such tactics, I hope you don't mind if your team doesn't even get to start because the park has an 11:00 curfew.

That's not a personal attack. It would be a personal attack if I told you that I thought you should re-examine your value system that first made you consider doing this and then made you go to a public forum to seek justification. Or if I told you that you are perhaps not thinking clearly if you thought you could ask umpires how you could take advantage of their services in which they are already underpaid. However, since you asked for no such personal attack, I will make sure I don't say anything like this to you.

P.S. If you "do actually umpire", I hope your skin gets a little thicker. :-)