View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 07, 2001, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Question Fair / Foul Two Calls Two Umpires

Quote:
Originally posted by umpyre007
The 2001 BRD Section 458 states that Brad Rumble made an official interpretation via the National Federation News #28, April, 1990: A call of "foul" may be changed to "fair." When that occurs, the umpire must decide what the outcome would have been if he had ruled correctly.

The 2001/2002 NFHS Umpires Manual, page 18, Section 27 states: Calling "Foul!" halts all play. It is not [my emphasis] reversible.

Could someone please enlighten the reasoning for these contrasting views?
I read my "old version", the 1999 Seventennth Edition of BRD Section 449 pg 81. I was aware a call could immediately be changed in FED but was unaware that PRO interpretations permitted same. I find it difficult to envision a single umpire screwing up FAIR / FOUL especially since one is verbalized and one is not (Although I had several STRIKES last year that I just vapor locked and called BALL). What I can see is Crusty Veteran as PU with a R-1 pointing a ball down the first base line as FAIR and having NEWBIE BU in "B" or "C" position yelling "Foul Ball". What then? Does PU remphazise his call if no one has reacted to the "FOUL" call? If so, how? And if we live with FOUL how do we explain the WHY when Offensive Coach comes out to challenge. I know, I know NEWBIE better have brought the Fosters, or in my case the Coors Light. Jim/NY