View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 07, 2001, 06:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down Re: Just an opinion.

Quote:
Originally posted by dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by dhodges007

What exactly do you mean by "mirror" your partners call?
If they tighten their calls up I tighten mine up. If they start calling handchecks (for example) on their end I will start calling it on my end too. [/B]
I realize that you might think that is a good idea, but let me put it to you this way. You are not going to have the benefit of calling things that your partner calls often times. Because if you look for something that was not called or was called for a certain reason, you might find yourself as being accused of looking for something that should not be called. You need to call your own game. Because if you call your own game instead of just adjusting to what someone else does during that game, you might find some inconsistency. You talked about handchecking. Well handchecking might only need to be called on one player. Handchecking is not just touching a player is influencing a players movement with the hand. So if a player holds, changes the direction, pushes or stops a player by using his/her hand, that is handchecking. If you go on the other end and go looking for that, and the same exact action I just discribed is called on your part, you might have problems with your inconsistency. My main point is that you are not going to have the benefit of understanding all your partners calls, because if you are, you are not watching your area.

And I know there will be others that disagree with this, but get the terminology of "tight and loose" called game out of your vocabulary. These words have no real basis in officiating. What I mean is that I really do not understand how you call something in degrees, rather than it happen or it did not happen. Think more in term of advantage/disadvantage, because if some contact puts a player at a disadvantage, it is a foul. If the contact does not, not foul. If you start thinking in terms of "tight and loose," I feel you loose perspective on what you should call or not call. Because instead of considering how the contact affected the play, you consider the degree. And considering the degree IMHO, makes you more inconsistent.

I am not a God on this, I know there is going to be people that disagree, and you might be one of them. But I know a few D1 Men's and Women's officials, and I have never heard that used (tight and loose) used in their vocabulary. They only talk about fouls in terms of advantage/disadvantage.

Just my opinion.

Rut.