Thread: Rule of Thumb
View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 07, 2001, 04:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb I would almost agree with that but.......

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
Just call a few games with with the 3 man and it comes quite naturally.
the fact that he is a young official, he might not even work a 3 man game anytime soon. Unless he goes to several camps or does varsity, he might never even come close to doing 3 man games. I do agree that once you do 3 man games, 2 man because easier to understand and work. But if you do not get exposed to 3 man, you still are looking for answers.

dhodges007, I would just say go by the book. Until you have some game experience and understand what you are more likely to call and not call, stick to the book. Because doing 2 man mechanics is really about experience. Because it depends on you partner and what your partner likes to do and not do, it depends on where you partner is looking or not looking, and all is going a factor in how you call the game. You can never go wrong with the book and what the book says at first, but in 2 man you have to make sacrifices in coverage. In doing 3 man, you realize more what those sacrifices are. Read, study and know that "Officials Manual" back and forth, because if someone tries to tell you different, it is very hard for them to deny what is in that book. And in the long run, especially early, that is what you are going to be judged on.