View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sir_eldren
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
. . . I will make a mental note that I don't care to work with that sum***** again.
A bit harsh, don't you think? What if you were working with a young umpire who's making a sincere effort to learn the ways of the umpire? I can understand somebody who should know (a year's experience or many games worked), or somebody new who just won't listen and you've discussed this matter before. But what of a new offical? You call him a pudwhacker and never work with him again?

-Craig
No, I called him a sum*****, but you bring up a different situation, ie I am working with a rookie. In that situation, when he overrules me without so much as asking me a question, we will have a conference (away from the coaches earshot) during which I will explain the error in his ways, and then we will agree to reverse his overrule back to the original call. We will call the coach who was appealing over and I will say "Coach, I (BU) was closest to that play, and it was my call, and I believe it was correct or I would not have made it. My partner should not have overruled me on that and you know he does not have the right to do that, and you know you can't appeal to one umpire to overrule another. So we are going to go with the original call, batter is out. Now you can do whatever you want, short of ticking me off, but then you need to go back to the dugout and live with it."

Then, I might work with the rookie again, but I don't think he would ever overrule another umpire again, which is the lesson he needs to learn on this day.

[Edited by DG on Jul 9th, 2004 at 10:21 AM]