View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 06, 2004, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveASA/FED
Does everyone agree here that there has to be OBS (runner forced to change something due to defense) before OBS can be called??
The runner must be impeded for there to be OBS. I think that is what you meant.
Quote:
Or does anyone agree just being in the way is good enough, even if runner is not adversly affected by their actions??
I don't - the defense may be any where they please so long as they don't impede the runner when it is not legal to do so.
Quote:
I saw situation #2 and there was no OBS, had ball 2 steps prior to tag at plate, coach did not understand the difference between having and not having the ball I think! Or maybe the 1st call was bad based on perceived OBS with there might not have been any.
All this means is there could not be OBS during that final 2 steps. It says nothing about the previous 10 steps.

Impeding the runner is the illegal act, not blocking the base or blocking the base line.

In situation #2, if the runner slowed or adjusted her base path in response to the catcher being in the way before the catcher had the ball, that is OBS, even if the catcher did catch the ball just prior to the runner arriving at the plate.

The question to ask is, at the time the runner was impeded, did the fielder have possession of the ball?

Whether she obtained possession after that is irrelevant.