View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 05, 2004, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

I have had similar situations with Men's ASA SP Rec leagues. On certain teams, the pitcher/catcher battery whine and complain to each other about nearly every call against them. I've learned that if I just ingore them, things go better. I never show that I care about anything they moan to each other. Unless it's a direct complaint right to me, or if they use a foul mouth, or if they are very demonstrative - then I give them a team warning. Earlier on, I'd try to answer them back, but I learned that that led to much worse situations. Not dignifying their remarks frustrates them more, and they're not happy when they realize that they can't get to me. Plus, I don't want to show the other team that I favor one team over another by trying to reason, explain myself, or enter into any banter with players. I've also learned that even when a game is going well, to talk with the players as little as possible. 'Cause even if it all seems friendly and happy, sure enough the game turns, and they'll be all over you on one close call against them. It does not need to be this way, but the players make it that way.