View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 05, 2004, 04:10pm

Okay, I'm going to end this once and for all...
Jurassic, Rut, you guys hold onto whatever you can regarding this issue. When the discussion firest began it concerned one official coming to another and telling him that he judged or ruled the call incorrectly. I used the term overrule - you say corrected and changed. Get over it...neither of you has ever worked as an official at the professional level. In Minor League baseball we have a crew chief who CAN and WILL overrule a call made by a member of that crew. I have been in both positions. I provided examples of calls that should be changed. I also gave you reasons why this should happen. Rut came back that no other sport allows this. I said that I saw it happen in basketball. Jurassic said, nope can't happen. I gave the exact play. You then said that I didn't hear the exchange. Doesn't matter...you didn't either. Then, you say that the calling official corrected the call, but again, I told you of the example where it didn't. You counter with, well it might have happened, but the crew shouldn't have. Good God, when have either of you worked the NCAA tournament? You gave an opinion, I countered it with a real world example, you dismiss it and then say I'm wrong. Don't quote a rule and twist semantics. The call was blown and the other ref made the reversal. The calling ref was never involved in changing the call. He ran up court when the other ref signalled the ball the other way. The could have punched each otherout after the game...I don't care...the call happened contrary to your belief.

By the way, find the section in the Official Rules of Major League baseball that allow for the crew to get together and change a judgement call.

Good night ladies.