View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 04, 2004, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
I thought I understand but now I am confused.

First, IFF should require ordinary effort by an infielder, regardless of who caught the ball, or dropped it.

Second, if an IFF is dropped or let fall to the ground, the batter is still out. It is a live ball.

Third, if a ball that is in flight but not an IFF is dropped or let fall to the ground, then batter is out and ball is dead.

All of this prevents double plays that are not earned by the defense.
But, what if it's not clear that it's an IF and the umpire makes no call, then later announces that it *was* an IF ... that's the point of the original post.

You'd (or at least I'd) expect to use the "umpire shall rectify any situation where a decision was reversed" part of FED rules to correct it. But the case plays seem to imply otherwise.

I would expect the offense and defense to recognize an IFF situation before it happens, and umpires to prevent unwarranted double plays regardless of whether defense dropped the ball or not. If the defense drops an IFF ball unintentionally, and it is an IFF situation then I expect an out to be called, even if it takes the umpire(s) a moment to realize that it should have been called but wasn't. I don't see how we can end up with 2 outs on an IFF situation, called or not, or an intentionally dropped ball. We should be preventing this from happening.