View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 04, 2004, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Except for NFL, which has the instant replay, the umpire, referee, official, making the call should be the only one to be able to "correct" the call, given feedback from his partners. There are rules to substantiate this, as have been mentioned here. However, our problem, and much debate, comes from having seen games, where it "appeared" that one official overruled another. I have definitely seen games in football, basketball, and basketball where it "appeared" than one official arrived on the scene a second or so after the call, and the call was changed. I will assume that the other official arrived with information he wanted to share, and having heard this information the calling official was convinced that the call needed to be changed, and he changed it. I have also seen cases where a second official arrived with information to share, and the call stood, most likely because the calling official was convinced of his ruling.

I have never been overruled by a partner, nor have I overruled a partner. I have both received and provided information which resulted in a change of call either by myself or by my partner. I have even changed calls based on what players tell me, if I believe them.

Except in the NFL, when video is used, the official gets an opportunity to change his call, and it's up to him to do so, or not.