View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 04, 2004, 06:20pm

Jeff,
That was the most complete and logical interaction that you've shared with me (since some a-hole tried some race stuff and Yaworksi claimed that 80 year olds herald from the greatest generation atha ever lived.) Thank you.

The fundamental disagreement that we have is that I saw a play occur, saw the highlights of it pored over on network TV and heard the discussion about it. The rule might be very clear, but it apparently wasn't followed. The baseball rule book also states that the umpires will provide a resin bag for use. I have never had to do this in all of my years of baseball. Let us agree that things happen that may not be in accordance to the rule book. I never claimed to be a basketball guru. I did take issue with JR stating that once a judgement call has been made in basketball, it cannot be set aside like they are preaching in baseball. I like what I saw at Wrigley the other day (besides the victory). An umpire made a tough call, but had the sense to back down when his partners said that they saw something different. Reliford is an excellent arbiter, but he kicked it. The reason the umpires are backing down so much is because they don't want to be governed by instant replay. Imagine if every one of our calls was scrutinized on a 200 foot big screen!

As for LDUB, last week he advised a rookie that he would tell his team to lower their shoulders into defensive players who take up positions in the baseline. This is from an umpire and a Dad. I take his advice and criticism with a grain of salt. You know all too well that I call people on bad advice. You have read more than one of my posts that upholds the integrity of the game and informs others about how they can become better. I am glad to see that you recognize that I only take issue with things I can back up. No more basketball talk, back to baseball...