View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 04, 2004, 04:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down This is really sad.

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
I read your note about my basketball mention. If you recall, I brought this up to illustrate a point made by Jurassic that in basketball you can never change the judgment call of another official. I gave a very specific example of an out of bounds call in the NCAA Tourney. I thought that the issue would die there, but a few of us can't seem to grasp the word play involved. Over-ruled/Changed/Corrected whatever you want to use...go ahead. The simple fact is that if an official makes a crucial error of judgment, we are seeing drastic changes in how they are handled. I back up all of my opinions with examples or fact. If this play was an aberation, IT STILL HAPPENED and they cannot dismiss that.
With all due respect Windy, no one is disagreeing with what you saw, we are disagreeing of how the judgment was changed. That is all that is it. And in the game of basketball you can never change a judgment call for another official, PERIOD!!! And I would like to add, you do not know the conversation that was had between the officials or have a real sense of how these things are handled in the game of basketball. Out of bounds calls often are not something that the calling official can see, he needs help to make the proper call. Most of the time in situations like out of bounds call, the calling officials is asking for help.

Quote:
In baseball we see a very real movement to get the call right. You have seen that my baseball knowledge is as sharp as anyone here. I don't claim to have a wealth of basketball talent. I do however recognize that when people use the words never, always and without fail, that they are often in error.
I will continue to teach in the basketball arena, to never change a call, but to give information. And I will teach how to handle those situations and when to not give information. You can NEVER tell anyone to change a foul call, no ands, ifs and or buts about it.

Quote:
I am educated enough to be able to point these things out and attempt a reasonable discussion. I also know that a lot of rookie officials watch what transpires here and glean some of it. My purpose is to teach, share and correct any bad advice given here. I can be sarcastic and caustic, when the advie is horrible or the opinion arrogantly misplaced.
I think Rookies can determine what is good or bad advice. Everyone here still has to go in front of their fellow umpires and officials and go along with what happens in their area. You cannot make everyone see things just your way. But you also gave a very bad example to use the basketball analogy. Many have told you that does not apply.

Quote:
However, I also contribute to the betterment of my brethren through the better share of my posts. Most know that when they see WindyCityBlue in the signature, there's something there that is logical and backed by fact and/or years of experience.
Windy that is no different than anyone here. I cannot say that most here do not want to provide information that is logical and correct. But we all do not have to agree on how things are handled. But to be so stubborn when you have multiple officials of multiple sports tell you that you are wrong, that also can mean something as well. And these are not rookies stating their case. These are posters that have been around here for some time and longer than you or I in some cases.

Quote:
You may not agree with me, but if you choose to argue, back it with a real situation and do it logically.
I do not know how much logical anyone can get by showing you the rulebook quote, word for word. You totally dismissed that and are telling folks that they do not know what to do in a sport you do not officiate. I really do not know who is using logic here?

Quote:
I appreciate your candor and ask that you step back and look at the bigger picture. If I'm wrong (and I have posted mea culpas here) I will admit it. When it comes to this discussion, much to Jurassic's chagrin, I am happily gloating. You see ego is a very big part of the officiating recipe. We all smile when we leave teh field after we know the job was perfect. I'm leaving the field now, I backed up every call, and it's ear to ear, baby.
Dude, this is not a competition. You were totally wrong on your debate with JR and you still have not admitted you have made a mistake. You continue to tell us you won a debate when the actual rules were given to dispute your point. I think it is just sad and that is why LDUB called you on it.

Peace

[Edited by JRutledge on Jul 4th, 2004 at 06:38 PM]