View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 03, 2004, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

The change of calls

With the new acceptance to change calls at the pro level, all the little people seeing it on TV have definitely caught on.

Championship game of the last day of a tournament last weekend (my 5th game of the day). My partner and I discussed real briefly that I would watch for the pulled foot and tag at first if I could and that if he wanted help he would go to me before his call.

Sharply hit ball hit to F9 who was playing in. F9 throws to F3 and my BU calls B1 out.

Some woman from behind the fence behind the plate on first base extended starts screaming that F3 was off the base. In this specific case, I disagreed with her.

The coach for the offense does a little jig, skips out of the dugout and yells over to me, "Can't I appeal that call to you?" I look at the coach, "No coach. You can't. Let's play!"

In a different game, my partner and I used a different method. If one of us felt we had information that could potentially alter the call, we would not go back to our position and would hold eye contact with our partner. A situation came up. I stood where I was and looked at my BU. He called time. He took the first step towards me for our meeting. He changed his call. If he felt his call was right, he wouldn't have changed anything.

Changing calls is becoming more acceptable. But, as we have discussed so vehemently, there are certain times and certain ways to go about it. Discuss it in your pregame. It doesn't have to be as difficult as it has been made out to be.

Hello again, everybody. It's a bee-yooo-tiful day for baseball.
- Harry Caray