View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 03, 2004, 11:38am
Small Business Owner

Reply...

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
OK, but what would one do then if Team-B, which just lost by 1 or 2 points with no time on the left on the clock and their coach has decided that they were not going to go back out and play the TRY down?
That's all I'm asking.
I would answer you question this way.
First I would make every effort possible to make sure the coach understands the situation (that he has the possibliity of winning or tying the game.) I would (because of my personalality) have him acknowledge that he is forfeiting his opportunity to win or tie the game. If these attempts failed (and I highly doubt they would) I would delay for a few minutes giving him every opportunity. I would then hold the ball in the air ending the game. (I would NEVER allow what I saw in an NFL game once. In the NFL game Team B left the field, and A was allowed to run a try with no B team on the field. (The kicker ran it in for 2) That was a travesty in my opinion!)

While my actions are not specifically supported in the NFHS Rule Book that is how "I" would handle the situation.

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey

I also didn't, at least I did not think I did imply a TRY was mandatory under currrent NFHS rules, I thought that's what I read into the experimental rule when I saw the word "must" be attempt. You've clarified that.

FWIW, I'm going into my 11th NCAA season and not seen one case in any of my games where Team-B had the chance to score. I think the main reason is that the kickers are too good.
This is season 19 for NFHS and I think maybe Team-B might have had the chance a dozen times. It's really hard to say since on blocked kicks, the played is ended rather quickly.
I suspect that situation will yeild a few points for either team.
FWIW, Our suspicions are that it (some type of extended play on try's) will be seen more often at the NFHS level than is currently seen at the NCAA level simply because the lower level NFHS kickers are not that good. Also, traditionally there are many more 2-point attempts at the NFHS level than at the NCAA level. But these are just crystal ball assumptions. We have the experimental rule to work with with for (at least) two years, and time will tell.

As a positive sidebar...
If nothing else comes of it, the end of an era has arrived for officials that insist on blowing the whistle (on try's) as soon as the ball is kicked! Since the ball now contiues to be live on try's this may assist those very same officials from blowing an IW on blocked Field Goal attempts. I am quite sure that some of you can relate!

[Edited by KWH on Jul 3rd, 2004 at 12:40 PM]