Thread: slide rule
View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan S.
Even with the FPSR there has to be interference. What interference was there in the original play? None. A runner never has to slide unless local idiots have mangled existing rules or made up some of their own.

true Rich F., but the rule also states - 'or alters the play of the defensive player, interference shall be called'. since the defensive player could not make the throw either for fear of hitting the runner in the face or for fear of the runner running into him, i believe that is an altering of the play. just because a player doesnt himself want to get hurt to 'prove'/'warrant' an interference call is no reason to ignore it. the runner was clearly hindering the fielders ability to make a clean safe throw. in these recreational leagues, where players are paying to play, i believe non-heads up baseball and lack of courtesy to an opposing player should not be ignored. most leagues have an automatic ejection for collisions, so when someone decides to avoid a collision rather then get into one by trying to make a play, it seems the potential collision offender should be penalized as well. that to me seems to be the intent of the rules, and if they are doing that in the NCAA, surely in a recreational league it should be as well.

Thanks for pointing out about this rule DG. All along I felt I was more right then wrong, but still bothered over it’s true legality. I feel better having read this and actually see a rule on this exact play at a professional sports level..
Jumpmaster – see rule 8.4 in the NCAA 2002 rule book. Here’s a link to the pdf file.
http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/20...all_rules.pdf. I don’t know why it’s 2002, I simply did a yahoo search and that’s what came up.
Again, it depends on rules being played. If the fielder does not throw the ball, I don't see how I can call interference, in OBR.