View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Nope, I'm here - you're not

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
I'm sitting at the game right now. I am in a right field line corporate suite. I am one of three Cub fans the rest are (ugh) Sox devotees. When the call happened, we did all we could to hear what was being said...no use. Relliford didn't move and got a horsesh*t look at the ball, but called it anyway. Exactly what you said wouldn't happen, did. The third base ump came in and told the PU what really happened. Relliford shrugged and shook his head when the call was being discussed. By the way, the plate ump signalled it and Relliford took the heat from Guillen.

Semantics are important. Read all of my posts. I have NEVER said that I would just jump in and change a call. In fact, I specifically said what should occur and gave examples that I was involved in. If you see a blown call - get together, discuss and get it right. That is what happened. I'm going to go gloat now. The Cubs are winning and my opinion was just backed by the big boys. Sorry if you don't agree.
I agree that this is a call that could be seen well by someone not right on the foul line. The 3rd base umpire has a great shot to be able to see the ball go either in front or behind the foul pole. But this part does not make sense to me, if Reliford did not see the play, then whey did he call the ball fair? If I am unsure about a call, I would ask my partners for help before I made the call. I think it would have looked a whole lot better if the umpires could have just gotten together and made one call and stuck with it. It would also have save Reliford a lot of grief that he got from Guillen.