Thread: slide rule
View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

as need not be explained, the slide rule is there to avoid collisions and getting people hurt. Typically this is called on a play at the plate, but i called it at second on a force play.
Runner on first, ball hit to shortstop, the runner coming in to second was out by 3 - 4 steps, didnt slide and didnt move off to the side. he just turned his run into a trot and continued in the basepath through second base...yes, THROUGH second base...just kept on trotting. The fielder in the meantime, didnt really look all too enthusiastic about making a throw to first...why, im not sure, but i can come up with three simple reasons...either he is lazy, which i doubt, or he had no chance on the runner at first, or he really had no throwing lane because the runner was still there. after i realized he wasnt going to throw, which was already well after the runner to 2nd had been retired, i turned to first and saw the runner one step beyond the bag. i called the no slide rule on the runner at second and i called the BR out at first too. of course, all hell broke loose, and after a few comments and further explanation, i told everyone that maybe i shouldnt have used the call 'no slide rule' i should maybe have said 'interference' for the runner not vacating a throwing lane, but either way the call would have been the same. essentially i called the no slide rule because the fielder is the one here that HAD to avoid the runner. obviously, he could have tried to make a throw, but that would have likely ended up in a collision, one which i'm sure he would rather avoid.

any opinions: thanks all