View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 03:53pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
This just happened...first inning...bases loaded Chicago White Sox vs. Chicago Cubs. Gload rips one down the right field line and Charlie Rulliford (1B umpire) rules it fair for a grand slam. Sosa comes in and Lee go out to argue the call. PU comes up and whole crew gathers for about ten seconds. THE ORIGINAL CALL WAS CORRECTED/OVER RULED/CHANGED whatever semantics you want to use. The ball is ruled foul and four runs are pulled off the board.

I just thought that you'd appreciate the fact that the best umpires in the world (remember they are full time and work more games than any other professional sport), sometimes get a JUDGEMENT CALL wrong and have the guts to get it right. You know that it will be all over SportsCenter and they will be laughed at for a while. But someone on that crew decided that the call was wrong, needed to be fixed and didn't have a problem doing it.

Way to go Blue!
Surely even you recognize the difference between this and the travesty that McClelland pulled last year in the playoffs.

Did the PU come up before Sosa and Lee argued and overrule Reliford without provocation? No, because he shouldn't. The umpire got more information from the rest of the crew and changed his own call. Likely, he lost the ball and was thrilled that other members of his crew were able to help out.

You may dismiss this as "semantics" but it is very important. Had Reliford refused to seek help or was convinced that he got it right, the other umpires can't just jump in and change a call.

I'm open to admitting when I got one wrong and am willing to change a call when necessary and when it is clear I got one wrong. But there's a right way and a wrong way to do this. For an umpire to go out to Reliford on his own with nobody asking him to do so would not be right and, with the exception of the McClelland play last year, is never done.