Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hensley
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hensley
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
This guy looks like he starts off ok, but as he moves forward he is a foot off the rubber and the ball is still in his hand and his hand is still behind his head. By the time he releases he could be another foot toward home. This looks like illegal pitch to me. Call a ball and he will stop.
Watch some slow motion or freeze frame video of just about any pitcher and you will see that they typically lose contact with the rubber with the pivot foot before the ball is released.

To call that a violation is over-officious in the extreme.
This guy's pivot foot is off the bag by a foot, his non-pivot has not landed, and his pitching hand is still behind his head. And we don't get to see where he is when he actually releases. This stretches the imagination of a legal pitch.
In the picture you linked to, the pitcher's pivot foot appears to be in the hole in front of the rubber and, if not actually in contact, it is certainly not "a foot" off the rubber. There is nothing unusual about the pitcher's motion in the photograph.
Look at the other picture posted.

http://users.adelphia.net/~mmyers2/picture.jpg
That's not that odd at all. I see a lot of pitchers who will kind of hop off of the rubber. It gives them a long stride as is shown in the picture.

But I've never considered it illegal.

Thanks
David