View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 28, 2004, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue37
Yesterday at church, a friend - Joe - came to me with an interesting situation that arose in a game on Saturday. Joe is on the dish in a two man crew. R1, no outs. Ground ball to second, flip to short for the out, relay to first, bang-bang play, out is called. Joe said it looked to him like the batter was safe.

The coach came out to discuss the call and the base ump called Joe over and said "I missed that one. Say that the 1st baseman was off the bag so we can get it right." Joe told me the 1st baseman stretched hard toward second to receive the relay and did come off the bag after receiving the throw, but was definately in contact with the bag when the throw was received.

Would you lie in that situation to cover for your partner?
I will read the rest of the posts later, but respond first. Joe is PU. "Joe said it looked to him like the batter was safe" and BU wanted him to say that he was off the bag so they can get it right, but then Joe told you "the 1st baseman stretched hard toward second to receive the relay and did come off the bag after receiving the throw, but was definitely in contact with the bag when the throw was received". Sounds like Joe, the PU, can't make up his mind.

Now if I am the PU and if my BU has just made an out call and wants to discuss it with me, because the manager is complaining, then I am going to tell my BU that I am not going to tell him what I thought I saw, because it is not relevant, and we are not going to change the call. We are going to tell the coach that after consultation we have decided it was a very close call and we will not be changing it. After our discussion the BU will also understand that if he wants help from me on this call he has to ask before he makes the call, and only if the ball beat the runner and he is unsure if 1B had his foot on the bag.

And if asked this question in church, I would have to say "never lie".

If asked this question on the ballfield, I would have to say "never lie".

If asked this question in a bar, I would have to say "never lie".