View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 28, 2004, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Now if the 1B man is holding the runner and the ball goes by him and hits the batter, he had his chance and the RF has no chance at fielding a ground ball and throwing out anyone at 2B or 1B so your ruling protecting this ball all the way to the fence defies logic.
I think, DG, that you are responding to Gee (if you'd quote a little of the relevant post, it would help).

Assuming that's true, you and he are discussing different plays. Gee assumed that F3 had no play on the ball (that is, it didn't go "through or immediately by" him). So, as he stated, R1 is out.

In your play, F3 did have a chance. In this instance, R1 is not out.

(Both plays assume no other fielder has a play.)

I was responding to gee and I inadvertenty used the word batter when I meant runner. Play - 1B man is holding runner on at 1B, ball is hit past 1B man and hits runner beyond 1B man. Gee had that ball protected all the way to the fence, ie runner is out, and batter gets 1B. I disagree. 1B had his chance and the ball is by him and hits runner beyond him and not other fielder had a play. I don't count RFielder as having a play becuase all he can do is get the ball back to the infield on a base hit, if hit had not hit the runner. I say the ball is live, just like it would be if the 1B man had not been holding the runner, and it went between his legs and hit a runner behind him.