View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 27, 2004, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Base on Balls Bases Loaded

Yes You are correct. I should have stated pitcher's plate as she was the only umpire and was calling from behind the pitcher. It appeared to me that the back of my player's foot had touched the edge of the plate, although it was difficult to see from either of our positions as the plate was covered with dirt. From being an ASA umpire, coach and player I know my opinion didn't count but only the umpire's. I just didn't understand how she could make that call, on her own, from where she was standing and why. These kids are 10-12 years old and I stress the mechanics and rules of the game. They know it is very important to touch all the bases as we warm up every practice by running and touching all bases. I believe in letting the kids play the game and had she totally missed the base and just walked off the base perhaps I would have been able to understand the call. All of my kids were again instructed to touch the bases but to make sure they touch in the middle especially on a walk so there would not be a question next time. This play took us out of the inning and eventually out of the game. I know that one call does not determine the outcome and good teams should be able to overcome things like this. Prior to this call one of the opposing runners turned in at first after she had been thrown out and pushed our first baseperson as she was throwing to third to try to get an advancing runner and the ball went by the third baseperson allowing another run to score. The umpire said she saw her push here but said it was incidental contact--interference nonetheless as I saw it. Then to have a girl called out for not touching home on a walk without an appeal I was a bit frustrated.