Thread: Stealing in SP
View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
Here in central NJ, I know of no SP league that has adopted stealing. Every league stuck with the old way and didn't even consider going to stealing. What are other leagues around the country doing?
In spite of our (Delaware ASA) urging to allow the upper leagues to use is when there were two umpires available. I called the P&R folks within minutes of the rule coming out of committee and again after it passed on the floor in Orlando last November. They basically laughed me off.

Meanwhile, as part of championship play all men's state tournaments will allow stealing.

Too many people think the world is going to come to an end. It's not. It will keep the catcher more active, but once a runner or two are taken off the base because of being thrown out on a steal or picked-off after a pitch, the game will calm down and actually move along at a faster pace. Eventually, the only steal attempts will be when the catcher outright misses the ball.