View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

I agree with the statement the rule is fine as it is. The rule didn't really change, just clarified what was obstruction and what was a "wreck" a little bit more.

Whole concept is straight forward...must have the ball to make the play...it's a basic concept of the game. We don't allow first baseperson to stand on the base when batter has hit it into the gap and is going to round first, do we? Same concept everywhere else.

As for injury, I'm still not convinced it will reduce injuries. But it may reduce the number of "stupid" injuries caused by a player blocking a base without having the ball.

If I'm correct, didn't FED have the automatic base rule several years ago? Doesn't baseball still have it? My memory says we had more incidents of runners trying to CAUSE obstruction when we had that rule.

As for umpires, I feel those that don't know the rule are trying to overthink it. They can't make a decision if the fielder had the ball or not. They are considering contact as incidental, not obstruction. Can't be that way. Either the fielder had the ball or not.