View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 04:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
[/B]
1) If there is no contact there is no foul so I can reach into your cone or verticality.

2) So the next time a A1 reaches out over a short defender I now have to call "over the back" since A1 violated B's verticality.

3) as a player is holding the ball above his head or close to his body and defender reaches out into the cone/vertical and ties up a player we now have a foul on the defense, and in fact A can use a reasonable method to ensure that B doesnt reach into his vertical space and grab the ball

[/B][/QUOTE]1) Any player can reach into any other's players vertical space above that player any time that they want to. No contact = no foul. Contact = foul ( or no call) on the player reaching into the other player's vertical space.

2)If there is contact after a player reaches over a short player, and that contact occurs in the vertical space above the short player, then- by rule- the illegal contact is always called on the player going "over the back". The foul isn't for "over the back" with no contact involved; the foul is for any illegal contact that occurs in the short player's vertical space.

3) If a defender legally ties up the ball, it is a jump ball- no matter where the hands are. If the defender makes illegal contact while trying to tie up the ball, it is a foul on the defender- again no matter where the hands are.

Nothing's changed on this rule that I know of. Been called this way for many years.