View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
No...

Verticality applies to players jumping up, defending etc.

and just because there is a body part in a "person's verticality" does not geive the person free license to create contact... I am reaching for a ball getting near your vertical space, does not give you free reign to knock my hand away

A player who is taller grabs ball above another player clearly in vertical space... that does not give the right to that person to knock ball away unfettered.

Dont read too much into verticality. Making contact and causing a disadvantage is a foul on another player.
Kelvin, I think that you need to re-read NFHS rule 4-44. Especially 4-44-2,3,4& 5.

Rule 4-44-2 - "From this position, the defender may rise or jump vertically and occupy the space within his/her vertical plane".
Rule 4-42-3- "The hands or arms of the defender may be raised within his/her vertical plane while on the floor or in the air".
Rule 4-42-4- "The defender should NOT be penalized for leaving the floor vertically OR HAVING HIS/HER HANDS WITHIN HIS/HER VERTICAL PLANE".
Rule 4-42-5- "The offensive player WHETHER ON THE FLOOR OR AIRBORNE MAY NOT CLEAR OUT OR CAUSE CONTACT WITHIN THE DEFENDER'S VERTICAL PLANE WHICH IS A FOUL."

Once you've established LGP, you OWN the air above you.
What did I miss here? My post stated that verticlaity has to do with jumping up and playing defense. Never once did I say that defense should be penalized for having arms raised in vertical plane.

What I did say is that just because you are entitled to verticality does not give you the free reign to do what ever you want. Like Hit the arm of a player who is in your space just because it is there.

Look at Rule 4-42-5- where is says "The offensive player WHETHER ON THE FLOOR OR AIRBORNE MAY NOT CLEAR OUT OR CAUSE CONTACT WITHIN THE DEFENDER'S VERTICAL PLANE WHICH IS A FOUL."... Does not say anything about A grabbing the ball and getting hit. it just says A cannot contact!.

If there is no contact there is no foul so I can reach into your cone or verticality.

So the next time a A1 reaches out over a short defender I now have to call "over the back" since A1 violated B's verticality. In fact when B1 then grabs A's arms that are a foot above B's head and knocks the ball lose. I will need to call the intentional foul on A1 for intentionally violating B1's space and give B 2 shots and the ball since A had no right to grab the ball in the protected cone/cylinder.

as a player is holding the ball above his head or close to his body and defender reaches out into the cone/vertical and ties up a player we now have a foul on the defense, and in fact A can use a reasonable method to ensure that B doesnt reach into his vertical space and grab the ball

If that what the rules states then I guess I do need to go back and reread the rule. I guess the Iraqi sun made me sort of like crazy or something.