View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 20, 2004, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Question

A while ago we had an excellent discussion on strike zones, what is a strike, what isn't, what to call, etc. Since then, I've been consciously trying to pull my zone up to the top of the knee (unless I'm doing, 10U rec ball, then anything goes ).

This weekend I called an excellent tournament with some really good teams. Had a pitcher with a good drop ball, but IMHO, the ball was coming in below the knee and dropping...most of the time. Catcher was crowding the batter (way up on the plate) and most of the time the glove was on the ground when she caught it.

Away Team wins 1-0, really good game. She still had like a 2 or 3 hitter, but "because of me" she had 3 or 4 walks.

Away Coach after the game (very professionally) asks me where the pitches are. I explained, that IMO, the ball was coming in under the knee, then dropping. He said it was hitting the knee then dropping. I asked where it hit the knee. He said it was crossing the batters knees. I explained that we are supposed to call pitches where they cross the plate, not the batter, in relationship to the batters knees.

Upon reflection after the game, I remember fans from both teams saying, "he's just not giving her the low pitch." Felt pretty good about it. Also heard Home Coach say, "he's not giving her the drop ball; stay off it until she brings it up."

So obviously, both coaches and parents were expecting me to call the pitch a strike. No really complaining from either side, just made me think:

WOULD IT HAVE JUST BEEN EASIER TO CALL THE PITCH A STRIKE AND GO ON WITH THE GAME? Since everyone except me (and my partner) thought it could have been a strike, should we just call it a strike? Or does it pose a greater question: where are the umpires that give her that pitch as a strike? Obviously, someone, somewhere is giving that pitch as a strike, or she wouldn't throw it constantly.

I will give coach credit...he kept throwing it...and I'll give myself credit...I never called it a strike. Coach said I was consistent, but he thought it was a strike.