View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 03:07am
Official Forum Member

Hi...Need some help figuring this out please.

It seems to me that NBA Rules as they are currently posted on NBA.COM are totally unclear as regards to dribbling.

Mainly...nowhere does it define the meaning of player "control" of the ball and yet it uses this term significantly in defining the rules for legal dribbling.

My main concerns are that, by the rules as stated,

1) It would be legal for a dribbler to for instance while dribbling up the court and if heavily defended, throw (or tap or push or whatever) the ball around the defender and then resume dribbling no matter how many times the ball had subsequently bounced without the dribbler. This seems like it would be legal because it could be argued that since it was a planned move by the dribbler (especially if it was accomplished oh so convincingly), the dribbler did not lose "control" (whatever "control" means).

Is an example like this legal and i am just not aware of it?

2) As i remember (could be wrong) there used to be a statement in the Rules and Regulations something like, "the dribbler cannot dribble the ball at a height above the dribbler's head". But this is nowhere to be found now. Has it become legal all of a sudden for a dribbler to dribble the ball at a height above his head? So that for instance, the dribbler could dribble over the head of the defender? Surely not! And surely this type of move would not be considered lose of control! What's going on here????

3) This is a sort of combination of 1) and 2) I guess.
The hypothetical move is that the dribbler bounces the ball over the defenders head in the motion of dribbling and resumes the dribble on the other side. A Sort of big hop dribble. I'm sorry, but it seems the Rules as posted on NBA.com have been gutted or something and there is no longer any declaration ensuring these sort of hypothetical moves are illegal!!!!!!!!

Mainly i guess because there is absolutely no definition to be found of player "control" while dribbling!

What's going on?????????

Thanks,
Andrew

[Edited by ShoeBall on Jun 18th, 2004 at 04:43 AM]