Thread: LBR
View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 17, 2004, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
"The fake causes BR to stop and head back toward first base. While BR is headed to first base, pitcher then takes her spot ... BR then stops, and runs to 2B."
-------------------------
OK, OK, possible minority opinion although I have just about given up on boards besides this and NFHS.

My first reaction was that the runner must continue toward 1st. When I read the case, I saw the words "BR then stops, and runs to 2B." If I was visualizing the case correctly, that meant the runner had stopped while the pitcher was in the circle and not making a play (after the fake). That would make some think the runner is out trying for 2nd. BUT, that is not the rule and certainly not the intent of the rule. The rule says the runner may stop once and in this case, that means after the pitcher is at rest, not making a play or fake.

However, the ASA and NFHS rules say the exception applies to the pitcher making a play on "another" runner. We probably all ignore the "nother" part; but it is there. PONY says "her or another runner" and NCAA says "the runner or another runner"; which makes the ASA and NFHS rules imply something by omission.

Just to be clear I'll repeat my comment from NFHS:
"I have stated repeatedly that the RCR (runner control rule) is not for cheap outs (give the runner the benefit of the doubt and being human) and no umpire should be looking for cheap outs."