Thread: Closely Guarded
View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 17, 2004, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor
Juulie,
Chasing an opponent that has beaten you is not guarding them. Also the defender must maintain the "within 6 ft" requirement - if in the officials judgement the distance between them & the offensive player widens beyond that - even for a split second - the count restarts.

Bottom line, it's a judgement call on the part of the official whether or not you think the defender maintained the closely guarded situation. In a situation like you described, I'd probably say something like "Coach, to be legally guarding the defender has to stay in the path of the opponent with the ball - in my judgement your player wasn't." If he/she listens, great - if not & they push the issue, there's always "Coach, I've heard enough" then 10-4-1-b if you need it........
Being "in the path" is not exactly true.

Consider the following: A1 guarded aggressively by B1. A1 attempts to drive but B1 stays right in front of A1 and causes A1 to abort the drive and retreat to a position well above the 3 point line. B1 continues to aggressively defend A1 and stays within 6' of A1 at all times. A1's path, during the retreat, is towards the division line and B1 is following. I'd not consider A1 to be free of being closely guarded and my count would continue.