Thread: and one
View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 01, 2001, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

A guess is like an opinion ... What I said was, 'Its a WARNING or a TECHNICAL'. By the 'letter of the rule' it's a technical, by the 'spirit and intent' it's a warning. When a coach yells, "and one", basically they have said, "Call a foul". Why do we turn a 'deaf' ear? How many times, on a shot, are you going to allow a coach to yell, "call a foul". I bet not many. So what's the difference? Same thing on yelling 'three seconds'. How many times are you going to turn a deaf ear? At what point do we say 'enough'? After the first time, or maybe, the sixteenth time? The jest of my response was to acknowledge what the coach said. If you officiate by the 'letter of the rule', its a technical. If you officiate by the 'spirit and intent' of the rules, its a warning. But turning a deaf ear to a violation of rule 10 is not an option. My experience has proven that if you stop this behavior initially, it decreases the chances that you'll have to deal with it later in the game.

Based on what you just wrote, if you're calling technical fouls in a situation like this, you are calling the games by the letter of the rule. If he yells 3 seconds or over the back one time, do you call a T? My guess is no. [/B][/QUOTE]