View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 14, 2004, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rotationslim
Watched the NBA finals last night, love those Pistons for playing basketball the way it is supposed to be played. (In the interest of full disclosure, I am from Detroit). Anyway the offensive goaltending got me thinking...

Anyway, is there a good reason for offensive goaltending? If an offensive player can get himself in position to guide a shot into the rim, why not? It doesn't make sense to me to punish them?

Am willing to listen to why the rule exists.
I believe the rule is consistent in the NBA for the offense and the defense-neither can touch the ball above the cylinder. At least that is the rule in HS. To be fair if you allow the offense to do it you would have to allow the defense to grab the ball that is about to go in and pull it down for a rebound. (and to pick nits-it is technically called basket interference not goaltending-but the penalty is the same)

--however your post got me thinking since the NBA loves scoring it is surprising the NBA doesn't tweek the rules to allow the offense to do it and not the defense.

Incidently I believe under FIBA rules that is legal for both offense and defense-once the ball has hit the rim.

(and after posting this I see rockyroad beat me to it and said basically the same thing)